Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Her Maiden Voyage...

So as I'm typing this, the theme of 'Titanic' is streaming through the earphones of my iPod!

But I digress...

I AM SO EXCITED!!! Actually, excited might be an under statement. On the outside I'm pretty sure I seem calm, cool, and collected, sitting in this coffee shop, typing on my MacBook, but internally: my stomach is doing cartwheels, my heart is racing, and I'm barely containing myself (I'm glad I went to the bathroom earlier)!

Anyway I'm rambling. Also I'm sorry for the construct of this blog. Firstly, I suffer from a disease that prevents me to do anything in the alloted amount of time given before hand, known as procrastination (that's why my first entry is being written an hour before the ship sails). Also, I've never written a blog, haven't read that many either; so I'm sorry if this one happens to suck. I promise it'll get better... maybe... probably... um it probably won't, but work with me, I'm doing my best here!

Let's start from the beginning. I'll give you a quick run down of what happened on the plane trip up here without making this entry too long.

Me and mommy (Casandra as I affectionately call her...) left Atlanta at 10:19 on Sunday morning, flew into Laguardia around 12:30, then had to take a shuttle to JFK. Now on the bus ride to JFK an Asian man was seated in front of me, he was probably from South Korea or Japan, and the bus driver was also Asian, but he was Cambodian. So the Black man that was taking the money was having trouble relying to the Asian passenger that the shuttle ticket was $13.00, and as he's getting flustered from being lost in translation he goes to the Asian bus driver who has to speak the same "Asian" as the passenger, its logic right... right?.

The Black man ask his co-worker: "Hey, tell him it's $13.00"
Bus Driver: "It's $13.00."
(mind you, he says this in perfect english). The Black man just looks at him and then me like 'what?'

Okay so maybe that was a bad joke!

And maybe you had to be there when it happened; but I found this to be hilarious and could not stop laughing. I know you're probably looking at your computer screen like "What is she talking about", I told you I never did this before, and shoot it was funny to me.

But when we got to JFK our flight got delayed for 4 hours, and we didn't get to Nova Scotia until 2 am. And yes it is cold! Not the OMG (and I apologize in advance for text message talk) its snowing kind of cold, but I should have worn some socks, sneakers, and a coat, instead of these cargo shorts, flip flops, and hoody, kind of cold.

Halifax, Nova Scotia is beautiful. Its surrounded by the water and very clean. The citizens drive on the right side of the road, and the Taxi drivers are up to speed on the cities history. I find that when you're talking to perfect strangers the best conversation starter is weather. I've discussed precipitation, wind currents, longitudes and latitudes, sea level, humidity Fahrenheit and Celsius degree conversions. Its all really trivial, but it breaks the silence.

Anyway, Canada is pretty American. Yesterday, I watched 'Peachtree TV' a television station broadcasted out of Atlanta, and got the weather for the metro and traffic for I-75. They have a lot of car dealerships 'GM, Cadillac, Hummer, etc. (perhaps they didn't get the memo).

Oh I think that this has gotten a little long, so I'll wrap it up. I just checked into the boat and it is grand! My room is small but I have a big window with a nice view. Good closet space, clean bathroom (to be shared by me and my one roommate), we have a television set, a vanity/ desk, and a little table. The rest of the ship is beautiful, words can't really do it justice, plus I think I've bored you long enough, about nothing really! Classes start Thursday (today is Tuesday).

I'll take lots of pictures (haven't figured how to up load them yet)!


P.S.
Thanks to all of those who helped make this trip possible. I appreciate it more than you know, or than I can actually express. I'm so grateful!

4 comments:

  1. Go Be'Be'!!! I finally remembered the URL. You did good on your first blog. And yes, when the driver said $13 you didn't have to LOL! although, that mess was too funny, but he didn't see me laughing. He was like, I don't know what he speaks. Now you know they gon' be laughing at you in all those countries you bout to visit. It's Karma, baby!

    I love you and will be praying for you without ceasing so no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannell! I am so excited for you and am equally excited about seeing the world through your eyes . . . and this blog. I literally LOL over your Shuttle story . . . I could see it as you told it and it was funny! Enjoy and learn and share and keep on bloggin'! Too funny about the commonality of weather - it always breeds a good conversation - in Chicago, NY and Canada! I believe that it is universal. The joke in Canada was . . . if you don't like the weather, just wait 15-30 minutes. Sunny & warm one minute . . . cold and rainy the next. Oh well . . . keep us posted and love ya much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Neschell. I am so proud of you. The anticipation of what your future holds is crazy. With your infectious smile and witty humor, you will reach any goal set. I can't wait for pics and I'm loving being able to keep up with your blog. It is new to me also. I never was interested in any person's blog, but you can bet that I'm following Scootys'. Keep reaching for the stars and I'm sure you catch one. Scotland

    ReplyDelete